Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fresh Salad


We LOVE a salad with EVERY MEAL!!!

I love a salad with a lot of stuff in it. Here is what I put in my salad:
1 head of Romaine lettuce (you can buy it in the bag or use Iceberg- this is our fav!)
1 tomato
6 large slices of onion
1 cucumber peeled and sliced
1 green (yellow or red) bell pepper
1 cup of baby carrots
I wash my lettuce thoroughly, using a salad spinner. Then I slice up all veggies. I pre-pack all veggie in quart zip-lock bags and label with the date.


I make a LARGE bowl and add each day out of the veggies what the salad might look low on.... tomatoes & cucumbers can be slimy when left in the salad overnight. So I pick them out- usually eat them...then add more back the next day.


For lunch I will have a salad many days- while the boys eat sandwiches. And I send fresh sliced veggies in their lunches to pre-school or mother's day out!! Makes the lunch packing go fast- when it is all pre-sliced!


This size salad usually lasts all week long for my husband and me- the boys eat the veggies out of it...every so often they will ask for lettuce. I keep it in the back of the fridge in a air tight container.


Oh yes, and we LOVE Hidden Valley Ranch or Wish Bone Italian Dressing.....what do you like??

What other veggies do you like to put in your salad?? I had lunch and ordered a salad at a restaurant the other day-it had Craisins in it, neat taste!!

*Rating...5 trips back to the kitchen*

2 comments:

  1. My favorite salad of late is just a bag of pre-washed lettuce (I like to try all different kinds), craisins, glazed almond & pecan pieces, blue cheese crumbles and balsamic vinagrette dressing. YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love some Craisins in salad, and some homemade ranch dressing. The bottled kind just doesn't compare to the kind you make yourself. This is making me hungry for salad!

    ReplyDelete