Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to Make Homemade Mashed potatoes


This is how I make my mashed potatoes....I would love to see how you make yours...send me a link- I will check it out. I learned this technique from watching my mom & my Mamaw cook potatoes.

I start out with 5 red potatoes. I usually use red- unless I have others that need to be used. I then wash them thoroughly and cut any yuck spots out-you know nasty little black looking things.

I also like to keep the outside skin on....it is good for you- If I use Russet potatoes I usually peel them. Each their own. If you like them peeled....peel away at this point. If you have ever had Cracker Barrel creamed potatoes....they leave their skin on- taste the same to me.

Then I cut them up into chunks and boil them in water (or chicken broth if I have it) while whatever else I am cooking is getting prepared & cooking- I have NEVER really paid attention to the time. But if you put a knife in the pot and a potato comes out with it....they are not done...probably about 20 mins or so.

Then I drain the pot of all water and the potatoes should look like this.

I then take about a 1/4 cup of milk (you can add more if needed) and 2 spoons of butter- and mash them up with a handle masher. You can use a electric mixer if you would like-they will be much more creamier and no lumps....we are lump likers....so I use my hands. Mash up and down and stir side to side and when the become creamy.Once they are creamy I add the two things I think all kitchens should have Salt & Pepper...I love the fresh ground black pepper and have recently fallen in love with sea salt- thanks to my sister, she says it is better for you! *Rating...5 trips back to the Kitchen*


I love to make mashed potatoes and I love my masher- every time I make them I think of my Mamaw, she passed away in September 2009. She was famous for her fried chicken and mashed potatoes!!

When I moved out on my own, I was making fried chicken and mashed potatoes for my boyfriend (husband now) and I had NO MASHER?? What to do?? I used a FORK... mashed a whole pot of potatoes with a fork!! Work let me tell you!!

I saw my Mamaw the next week and said "Hey what do you use to mash up the potatoes when you are making mashed potatoes?" Told her about my FORK story....and she showed me her masher. I said " I need to get one of those!"

The next day she came by my house- and had gone to the store and bought me a potato masher. The same one I use today!! If you knew my Mamaw you would really be shocked by this- she was VERY frugal, we didn't get any gifts unless it was Christmas or birthday. For her to spend money on me for my need- I was very honored and happy to receive it!! I have NEVER EVER NOT thought of her when I am making mashed potatoes since.

Hope your Potatoes are Creamy, your Belly Full and you heart filled with Happiness!!

Mollie


1 comment:

  1. I peel the potatoes, cook them in water with a little bit of salt, drain the potatoes. Heat up some milk and mix the potatoes with the hot milk with an electric mixer. They turn out really creamy.

    ReplyDelete