Monday, February 22, 2010

I heart frozen veggies

We have recently fallen in love with frozen vegetables. The are much cheaper most of the time- you can buy a HUGE bag. Then just pull out as much as possible. I will occasionally use cans of corn, beans,tomatoes etc for recipes.....but mostly we love frozen.



I usually take the amount I need- 1 cup per person. Although the little boy in our family eats LESS than a cup....Daddy can make up for it.



I place the frozen veggies in the pot- take it to the kitchen sink and pour a small amount in the bottom of the pot- about an inch or so. I then salt & pepper. Place lid on. Place heat on HIGH and allow to boil.



Boil water and stir veggies for 2 minutes or so then turn off heat and replace the lid. They will then steam. Drain water before serving or use a slotted spoon to serve.



That is my way to do it- You can buy a veggie steamer. I do not have the room to store one....nor do I want to take the time to get it all out when a pot is in reach!!



On my green beans I throw in a few beef bouillon cubes and little dash of garlic. Then drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top. Stir up well.



On my corn & corn on the cob.....I love to add some SUGAR.....makes it taste like it is fresh from the field!!



How do you like your veggies?? Can...frozen....fresh??? How do you fix them??

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I just read this post, and 10 or so years ago I had a HUGE fight with my daughters' step-mom over frozen vegetables (of all things.)

    They had been staying at my house and I always used canned green beans. She always used frozen green beans. When the girls came back to her house, they complained that they liked my green beans better.

    When their step-mom finished yelling, she asked why in the world I would feed them canned instead of frozen, when frozen was so much healthier.

    I laughed and said, "Cause I don't have room in my freezer." then we both laughed. I honestly hadn't thought about it, except that I had a bigger pantry than I did a freezer. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. http://advancedseodirectory.com/Wolfleys_237892.html

    ReplyDelete